Friday, December 23, 2011

Winter Solstice!


Just in case you people didn't know today was the winter solstice. My family actually celebrated it which I thought was pretty cool. Since last year my family kinda stopped celebrating or even caring about Christmas seeing that majority of the family in this house are either Athiests or people with Agnostic ideas about god.

Although to be honest I'm used to saying Merry Christmas to everyone because I'm used to saying it and to me as long as your wishing people to be happy it doesn't make much difference. But, I'm starting to get in the habit of saying Happy Holidays to everyone. 

Being a skeptic and atheist I always am asked so many questions about my beliefs especially at this time of the year. One of them being, "Wait your atheist you can't celebrate christmas can you?". This is usually asked by my christian friends, but I think: "Am I not aloud to celebrate a day with my family with love and care? Am I not aloud to give gifts and just have a day to not worry about life in general? Also Christmas has Germanic Pagan roots that was later adopted by the Christian Church so who are you to ask me that kind of question?"

Plus ever since I cut out religion in my life I never been a happier person. I started to believe in myself more than some "higher power". During hard times I look to family and friends not deities of any sort, and the most highly dysfunctional and messed up families I have seen my whole life have been those affiliated with religion. Therefore I want nothing to do with it nor does the majority of my family. 

But really in the end this is a more peaceful time of the year and usually I try to lower my aggression towards others. Especially the religious nut jobs (aka some of my family and kids from school). People can do their own thing as long as I'm not dragged into their religious delusion aspect of the holiday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts