Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Clothesline Project

Hello folks been having quite the insane time at school atm....So I will probably make around two or so posts tonight o.o Recently at Campus they had this huge event in the grand ballroom called the Clothesline Project. In my Human Development class, my instructor let us leave class for the day and go to the event for some extra credit. At first I didn't know what to expect. I thought it was just some human rights movement and pamphlets would be given. I was right, but I didn't realize how emotional of an experience it would be for me.








Very strong emotions flowed through me that day...It is truly sad how cruel our society is and all the people that designed this shirts are victims or family members of victims in Utah County alone. It is a scary thought that this kind of abuse can go on in your neighbor's home and you wouldn't even know. Also each color represented what type of abuse the person went through. 

White represents women who died because of violence; also at the event they also meant for ones that went through emotional abuse
Yellow or beige represents battered or assaulted women;
Redpink, and orange are for survivors of rape and sexual assault;
Blue and green t-shirts represent survivors of incest and sexual abuse;
Purple or lavender represents women attacked because of their sexual orientation;
Black is for women attacked for political reasons. (With this one though at this event the black ones actually meant for the ones that became physically handicapped from their abuse)

Also at this event these colors applied to everyone not just women alone. The most eerie thing though was that every certain set of seconds that go by a gong goes off meaning that someone is a victim of abuse. The whistle meant that a case of abuse was reported and the worse was the bell that would mean that someone has died from their abuser. I wish I could remember the number of seconds for each sound but hearing the sounds themselves is very emotional. 

This also helped me see that this is one of the reasons why I picked the career field I wish to go into. Which is Social Work if some of you did not know. I wanna be one of those people that changed someone's whole life around. To get them out of the abusive life they live and have an amazing future. 

So as I left the event feeling a bit down about the project I was stopped by one of the workers. She was a very sweet women and asked what I thought about the event. I told her how depressing it was, but no doubt I truly learned something out of it . She noticed my System of A Down shirt and just instantly talking to me about Metal. (Seriously conversations like that can get me going on the topic for hours on end..). It was great and the best part was she told about this amazing class I'm taking next semester. It's a class about....you guessed it! Heavy Metal. I was so beyond happy I finally found a class about this seeing that there's so much history in it and how it all started. My principal was fully willing to pay for the class since I convinced him that would help with my GPA (and it will). So that helped make my day a much brighter one! Next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts